In order to inform all of the students enrolled in your class of something, you can add an announcement in Moodle. This will do three things for you and your students. It will send an email to everyone in the class, appear on the sidebar of your class page, and it will show up in the Announcements forum of your class page. Each Moodle Course shell has an Announcements forum by default. Announcements are created by making posts in that forum.
1. Open your class page and select Announcements, which is always located at the top of the page.
2. Choose to Add a new topic.
3. Fill out the information with the subject and message of the announcement that you would like to send to your class. (To open additional formatting options, click on the little keyboard in the upper left corner of the text box.)
4. You can also add an attachment file (like a pdf of a course Syllabus) and email the announcement to all students enrolled in the course.
5. When you have finished composing and editing your message, select Post to Forum.
6. By default, you will have thirty minutes to make changes to your post. If you wish to post the message immediately, check Send forum post notifications with no editing-time delay. *Note--students will not have the option to override the 30 minute editing delay.
7. The announcement will be sent out in an email to all of the students enrolled in the class. Additionally, it can also be seen in two places on your site:
a) when you first open the Announcements forum:
b) on the right-hand side of the class page in the Latest news block: